October 8, 2012

kcwc fall 2012 {Day one}



IMAG0033 by extracrunchymama



IMAG0035

IMAG0040

IMAG0039

{My lovely model was standing still, that's all I can ask for, smiling for the camera is asking too much :)}

Sometimes you have to learn from your mistakes, especially when sewing with knit fabric. This dress would be considered a sewing fail in my book {The neck is far too big, the result of "I'll just wing it"}. Now, that doesn't mean that I won't try again or that I won't put this dress on my child ever {it's pretty cute even if it's not perfect}. My sewing machine has a stretch stitch which is perfect for sewing with knits. I have tried to use a double needle, but that ended in a really big disaster, which I'm pretty sure was user error. My machine actually has 2 stretch stitches that work well for knit fabric, I'm not an expert so I won't go into all the details of sewing with knits, but this post over at Made by Rae is super fun and helpful. The fabric is a 100% cotton knit that I got from Joann's and is super soft and stretchy {and the print is also very fun also}, the neck and arm ribbing are from the thrift store, I found a 2 yard piece for $2! {I LOVE the thrift store}. The pattern is the playdate dress from Craftiness is not optional, with modified sleeves that I drafted from a hand-me-down turtleneck that I cut the sleeves off of to use as a pattern. Besides the neck, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and She wore it all day. I need to seam rip the neck ribbing, and make it smaller, but it's serged, and ripping out serged seams in not my favorite. 

Be sure to check out all the other kcwc over at Elsie Marley, there are so many cute ideas, there is also a flickr pool


No comments:

Post a Comment